” Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.”
Unfortunately, many of us have been bullied.
Whether at school, or in the workplace, we have been a target at least once.
According to the dictionary, a bully is someone who uses strength or power to harm or intimidate those who are weaker.
But, are we really the weak ones?
The main reason bullies bully is because they’re insecure. They think that if they bully someone, they are powerful.
Bullying includes types like:
We’ll go over each one.
Physical bullying involves hitting, pushing, and shoving.
Most of this type of bullying happens in grade school.
Or sometimes, bullies often try to use their size to make themselves look intimidating to others when honestly, they’re the weak ones.
This includes taunting, ridiculing, and teasing.
This is much more common in high school because being caught physically bullying someone has much more harsh consequences.
They say that words can never hurt you, but they really can.
Examples include name-calling, or just mocking people in general.
This is much more common with girls than boys.
Examples of psychological bullying are isolating you, or talking about you behind your back to make you feel bad.
With Internet access being much more accessible, this is becoming more common.
Examples of this include rude texts, or posting rude pictures about those online.
Ways to Deal with Bullying
1. Ignore It.
This is probably the most effective way in handling a bully.
Bullies often bully for attention, and when they see you react in a negative way, they’ll do it even more.
I know, it is very hard, but here are some ways to make ignoring the bully easier:
- Avoid the Bully – That way you will have no problem seeing the bully. If the bully is in the same class, try to stay away from them.
- Realizing that they’re lying about you – If you didn’t know this, you are AMAZING! By realizing that it’s true makes it much easier to ignore their lies.
- Act like it didn’t affect you – This honestly depends on the situation. But, when you show that you don’t care, the bully will realize that they are not making an effect on you.
- Walk away – When you encounter the bully and they ridicule you, walk away so that you won’t be able to hear their taunts.
2. Develop Confidence
A bully’s goal is to make the people they bully feel worthless. When you realize this, you know that there is always one skill to improve on to deal with bullies, and that is confidence.
Ways to build confidence are:
- Acting confident – Even if you’re not, you will over time.
- Positive Self-Talk – This improves your self-esteem a LOT.
- Setting Goals – Go after what you want in life, and FORGET that bully.
When you develop confidence, the bully’s power of you WILL weaken and it will be less frequent.
If you really want to develop confidence, I recommend reading this book.
3. Stand Up for Yourself.
When you stand up for yourself, you show that you are NOT that type of person to be messed with.
One tip is that you should try to be as unemotional as possible.
When they see you get emotional, they will know that it affected you and they will just do it even more.
Another important way to implement this is to have a 1-on-1 conversation.
And that’s because when you say this when the bully is in a group, there will be more of a chance that one of them might ridicule you and think you’re soft.
4. Tell Someone
Sometimes it just feels like telling someone is the right thing to do.
It can be a trusted teacher, coach, or friend.
As long as you’re telling someone about the problem, that person could give you advice on how to deal with it and maybe make you feel better.
- Don’t rely on your emotions to deal with the bully – Instead, that will end up satisfying the bully.
- Persevere – Some bullies might try to come back at you again, but don’t let that tell you that it didn’t work.
- Help others go through it – Many of us have been bullied, and instead of bullying others as a result, we should help the ones who were once in our shoes.
- Don’t let the bully get under your skin – That means their goal was accomplished when they get under your skin.
Many of us have had an unfortunate experience when someone tried to mess with us.
We’ve either known how to deal with it effectively or ineffectively.
The main reasons bullies bully are because they’re either insecure or they think it makes them powerful(It doesn’t!)
Realize that there are people who have been there and that no one deserves to be treated that way.
” Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one’s definition for your life, but define yourself.”
-Harvey S. Firestone
Always remember that YOU are AWESOME!!!