” The best way a mentor can prepare another leader is to expose him or her to great people.”
-John C. Maxwell
The greats are the ones who have role-models and mentors to inspire them.
I know sometimes that there are people who don’t have good influences in their lives, including me but …
We have the Internet.
There are many successful people in the world who put their stuff out there for people to see on the internet, and we all should be modeling the traits that make them great.
Luckily, I’ve been studying some successful people, and I’ve found 10 of the most common traits almost all successful people have.
Here we go…
1. Never Ending Improvement
” The biggest room in the world is the room for improvement. “
What do you want to improve on?
Maybe you want to be a better singer or a speaker, but it takes work, time, and energy.
Are you willing to put in the effort?
Maybe you just want to improve your well-being, but it takes work.
Successful people realize that once they stop improving, they stop living and thriving and it eventually causes a downfall.
Wait, but how can you always improve?
There are many ways for us to master our crafts, such as:
- Learning Something New – Why else is reading such an essential habit of great people?
- Practicing Skills – Skills provide value. If we don’t develop any useful skills, we won’t have any value. Besides, practice makes perfect.
- Have Mentors – Mentors provide tips and advice to many people who are up and coming.
Once we decide to make a small improvement in ourselves each and every day, that would amount to a whole lot for a year.
2. Positive Thinking
” Positive thinking will let you do everything better than negative thinking will. “
How often do you think positively?
When people think of success, they mostly think of a person coming from a priveleged background.
For example, a professional athlete might be thought of as a person with God given abilities, yet although they may have talent, it took a whole bunch of positive thinking to get there.
Unfortunately, not many of us think positive most of the time…
We as humans have the tendency to magnify ourselves with negativity, and as a result leads to many mental health problems such as:
- Never Ending Stress
Wait, but how can we develop positive thinking?
In order to start changing your negative mindset, you must first be aware of them.
And in order to actually be more aware of your thoughts, you must practice meditation.
Meditation is the focus on something while sitting in a quiet place.
This practice over time can simply help you be more aware of the constant negative thoughts that swarm your mind during the day.
Once you become aware, you must make a complete effort to change your thoughts.
Here are some ways to change your negative thoughts into positive ones:
- Use Positive Self-Talk – Sadly, not many of us talk kindly to ourselves. We must use positive affirmations in order to increase positive thinking.
- Practicing Gratitude – When we practice gratitude, we remind ourselves of the many blessings we have in our lives and therefore take pride in them, which encourages positive thinking.
- Positive Visualization – We all have visions, and it’s up to us to decide whether they should benefit or destroy us.
- Asking Empowering Questions – We all go through tough situations in life. Questions direct our focus, and when we ask empowering questions, we empower results. Examples of empowering questions would be:
- What is great about this moment?
- What am I grateful for?
- What can I gain from this tough situation?
When we ask questions like that, our focus will be more on the solutions and not the problems, which is an important aspect in thinking positively.
3. Taking Risks
” Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far it is possible to go.”
If there was no such thing as consequences, what would you do?
When looking back on your life on your death bed, which option seems more appealing to you:
- I went after my biggest goals and dreams, I took risks and although I failed at some of them, it is still better than knowing what could’ve been.
- I was afraid of other’s opinions and as a result, I stuck to the status-quo in society.
If you’re reading this blog post, each and every one of you would agree with the first option.
But, most people live their lives with the second option.
It’s because of one negative emotion – fear.
Fear has destroyed more dreams, hopes, and goals than anything else in the world.
Successful people know that if they want to achieve something big, they have to take a leap of faith.
Yes, people will not like it…
Yes, there will be many bumps along the journey…
But, it will be all worth it in the end.
4. Giving Back
” The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.”
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
What are some ways we can give back?
We can help feed the homeless, donate some old clothes, speak to the elderly and so much more…
In society, successful people are pictured as greedy businessman who care only about themselves.
But, that is NOT true.
The people whose names are still remembered are the ones who constantly gave back to the world.
Don’t believe me, I will show you some examples:
- Bill Gates is one of the most generous philanthropists in the world and he is still a billionaire. Around the world he is a household name due to his company, Microsoft.
- Martin Luther King Jr. gave his time, effort, and energy in fighting for equal rights for everyone, and he is beloved all around the world.
The greats know that what they give is what will return to them.
If they give away nothing, then in the end they will receive nothing.
5. Thinking Big
” If you’re going to be thinking, you may as well think big. “
What are your biggest goals and dreams?
We only live once, so why not live it to the best of our ability?
Again, it’s all because of this one emotion – fear.
We are afraid that if we think too big other people might ridicule and shame us.
But, how can you develop a BIG way of thinking?
Here are some ways:
- Use Your Imagination – Your imagination is one of the best things that has ever came to this Earth. Everything that you see is a result of someone’s imagination.
- Be Curious – There is nothing wrong with being overwhelmingly curious. Matter of fact, it’s what causes growth and progress. Ask big questions, such as:
- What would I want to change in the world?
- How can I create a long-lasting legacy after I’m gone?
- If I can be, do, and have anything, what would they be?
Once you do that, I guarantee you that you will start thinking like a legend.
6. They Love What They’re Doing
” Passion is one great force that unleashes creativity, because if you’re passionate about something, then you’re more willing to take risks.”
What do you consider a big passion of yours?
While analyzing and studying great people, I realized that they absolutely love what they’re doing.
They state it over and over again, that they enjoy waking up in the morning going to their job.
And that is what makes them so spectacular.
When we all love what we do, we won’t see our jobs as something we have to do, instead it will be something we get to do.
Unfortunately, not many of us enjoy what we do on a regular basis.
Many people find a job that they absolutely hate, do their best to get by, and continue to work in that job until they realize they can’t work anymore.
None of us should live our lives like that.
And when they get really old, they take in the fact that they spent over half of their precious life doing what they dislike.
But, how can we find our passion?
Well, the only way is to try new things.
Matter of fact, I have an activity for you:
Write down all the things you wanted to try in your life, and start making plans to do them.
Don’t get bummed out when one of these things don’t work for you, that’s just one step towards finding your real passion.
You find your passion once you know that you get a positive feeling for it, and not work that job because of the money.
People who love what they’re doing don’t care about the salary, they just love the process.
Because if they truly cared about the money, then they wouldn’t really love it because it’s for the money.
7. Work Ethic
” The soul of the sluggard craves and gets nothing, while the soul of the diligent is richly supplied.”
Do you consider yourself a hard worker?
Although the most obvious trait for successful people, many people still don’t like work.
Many think that work is for people who have inherited it, but that is completely false.
The truth is that anyone can develop a strong work ethic, but in order to maintain it, you must have these reasons:
- A Why? – The ones who work the hardest have a specific purpose they want to work for. Whether it’s a big goal or to prove others wrong.
- A Vision – Sadly, humans are wired to be lazy and there are going to be days when we don’t feel like doing the work, but when you have the vision of the hard work paying off, then it will be much easier to stay disciplined.
Another reason why working hard is so easy to successful people is that they clearly love what they’re doing, and recognize that their work is making a positive difference to so many people.
” A goal is a dream with a deadline.”
What do you want to achieve most in your life?
We all have a purpose in life, and goals help us be able to show out our purpose to the world.
Successful people know that they can do the impossible and therefore make a plan to achieve what they want to.
In order for your dream to be achieved, you must take small realistic goals.
Questions to ask yourself would be:
- What can I do today that can help me achieve my goal?
- What do I have right now that can make me better off later?
People that are successful know that it’s not what they don’t have that is preventing them, but the mindset that they can’t do it.
” Great works are performed not by strength but by perserverance. “
What would you never give up on?
According to the dictionary, the word perserverance means the act or power of continuing to do something in spite of difficulties.
True champions know that it’s not about talent or natural ability…
Instead, they believe that with hard work and dedication that they can become the best.
They’ve failed over and over again and tried more times than maybe you and me combined.
” Our greatest glory is not in falling, but in rising every time we fall. “
” A ship is safe in harbor, but that’s not what ships are for. “
-John A. Shedd
If there was no such thing as fear, how would you live your life?
What would you do?
Who would you meet?
Where would you live?
The moment we stop making fear a huge barrier to our success is the moment we do things that only some of us could dream of.
How can you overcome fear?
The only way to conquer fear is to face it.
When we face our fears over and over, we finally recognize that the fear we often had in our minds were very irrational compared to it in reality.
While in a fearful situation, realize that there are only 2 things we can do:
Forget Everything And Run or Face Everything And Rise
I want you guys to answer at least one of the questions I asked in this blog post and post it in the comments below.
Remember: I am ALWAYS watching you. 😉
Now you know the major traits of all successful people.
If you practice the traits on a consistent basis, then life will be much more enjoyable for you.
” The law of harvest is to reap more than you sow. Sow an act, and you reap a habit. Sow a habit and you reap a character. Sow a character and you reap a destiny. “
Always remember that YOU are AWESOME!!!
P.S: Don’t forget to comment, like, share, and follow!